Thursday 30 June 2016

Kings Canyon

My first thoughts about Kings Canyon are that you are totally held to ransom on the prices of things and if you are not going to do the Rim Walk, then I seriously doubt it is worth the cost to get there or stay there. Having said that, I do think the Rim Walk makes the cost worthwhile.

On the way to Kings Canyon we did an overnighter at the free camp at Curtin Springs. This is a great little spot and they provide flushing toilets for free and hot showers for $3. You can have fires there, although we didn't. They have bird aviaries showing off native birds such as Princess Parrots, Australian Ringnecks, King Quail, Cockatiels and quite a few more. The kids enjoyed the birds. Of course, as we were free camping, it rained but fortunately not a lot. Curtin Springs generate their own power and water, which is pretty common for most of the roadhouses between Port Augusta and Alice Srings. I was quite shocked to see 600mL coke for $5.70... but then I don't need it, or want it, at that price.

The caravan park at Kings Canyon  Resort was $60 for our family (Rory didn't count). For this you get power, water, showers, toilets and an OK playground and pool. It doesn't have the amazing facilities of many less expensive caravan parks, but I realise there is a big difference. At Kings Canyon they have to generate their own power and provide their own water, which the less remote caravan parks don't need to do. They do this at Yalara as well, and there is a notable price difference between the two. On first arriving, you can see where your money is spent as the reception area is as stylish and elegant as any 5 star hotel in Sydney, but this doesn't flow through to the caravan part of the Resort. I am still reeling from the 1L cordial bottle being $11.65! I seriously doubt it costs around $8 per bottle to get it transported there, but perhaps I am wrong.

The Kings Canyon Floor Walk is nice enough, but perhaps it was spoilt slightly by us having just spent the time at Uluru and the Olgas, as I didn't think it was any more spectacular than parts of the Blue Mountains, or some of the other gorges throughout NSW and QLD that I have seen. Rory was being Mr Independent and trying to do everything the "big kids" were doing, so he required close supervision which also meant that I didn't get to really enjoy the Floor Walk. The end of the walk was closed as a whopping great boulder had recently fallen onto the viewing platform and broken some of the track, which is kinda scary to think about as there is no real reason why that couldn't happen while we were there.

 The start of both Floor and Rim walk

A dry creek bed (these were so much fun for the kids)


The end of the walk was closed as a boulder had crashed down into the path and viewing platform


 This pool was a beautiful place of calm and cool

Having said that about the Floor Walk, I have to say that for me, the Rim Walk made the extra travel and the cost of camping worthwhile. To start the Rim Walk there is a 100m climb up natural steps, and Rory actually did the climb himself! It was a huge effort from him and I was so impressed. Tilda did it easily, and thoroughly enjoyed it as she was climbing with Willow and Sakari. I impressed myself by getting up it too, but I did it at Rory pace so it wasn't too hard.



The views from the Rim are lovely. There are different views in each direction, some along the range, some out over a flat arid plain. On top of the Rim, the rock formation are amazing. They are made of two different types of sandstone, which erodes to form cones of rock of all different heights and sizes. The walk takes  you close to the edge at times. It is tempting to walk to the very edge for a look at the long drop down, but as I've gotten older, I've also gotten more anxious and full of "what ifs" and worse case scenarios. Having seen the boulder the day before that crashed to the canyon floor only in the past few weeks, I was too scared to get too close to the edge. Still, in the places where you kind of could get close, it was thrilling and breathtaking  to look down at the floor below. We had Rory in the hiking backpack so I didn't have to worry about him, and Greg did the hard yards lugging him all the way.


 Greg trying to scare me... he's right on the edge of a cliff (kind of)



About half way through the walk you hike down a series of steep stairs that take you down to The Garden of Eden. This beautiful oasis in the centre of the gorge is definitely worth the walk. There is a creek and at the end a deeper pool, which we didn't see. The creek was still when we were there, and prefectly reflected the surrounding trees and gorge walls. I can see why it has been called the Garden of Eden. There is a short walk to the pool before you begin the climb back up the stairs, but we didn't do that as some of our group had begun the climb up the stairs before I read the sign. I do regret it, as I would have liked to see it, and at the price of Kings Canyon Resort I don't think I will go back. But, as I am learning on this journey, we can't do everything we would like to and we have to pick and choose the ones we can do.




A couple of extra photos of the top of the Rim Walk


 
 There's obviously been a massive rock fall off the side of this cliff in the recent past

 A little gecko friend we found

One of the best things about the past 2 or so weeks has been travelling with our friends. The kids all get on very well and play together so nicely, and doing long walks (the Ri Walk is 6km) with friends makes the time go quickly and the kids don't whinge or complain. Travelling with friends certainly makes the journey so much more enriching and we will miss them when we go our separate ways.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, spectacular views and the valley floor looks so peaceful. I am enjoying reading your trip journal Therese.
    Louise

    ReplyDelete