Tuesday 28 June 2016

The vast red centre

When I was in Year 6 our family took a 6 week holiday and drove from Sydney to Perth and back, visiting relatives in SA and Vic on the way. We drove across the Nullarbor Plain and so my  perception of the red centre of Australia was formed based on my experience on the Nullarbor. I expected the trip from Port Augusta to Alice Springs to be flat, red and fairly barren. So I was quite surprised to see that there were lots of small plants, like salt bush, in the very arid region and that there are mountains and hills and tall shrubs aplenty throughout the centre. The soil was as red, or redder, than I imagined and absolutely stunning against a clear blue sky. I was surprised by how much water we saw, especially Hart Lake.

Port Augusta to Coober Pedy



Hart Lake



Coober Pedy to Uluru





  Mt Conner in the distance



I was also surprised at the lack of animals we saw. We didn't even see much road kill.

No comments:

Post a Comment